The NRA in Japan issued a new set of evacuation criteria. The new levels are much more strict than IAEA standards.
The new rules include:
- Residents outside a 5-km radius of the facility will be told to evacuate within several hours if the radiation level reaches 500 microsieverts per hour
- Restrictions on food produced near a nuclear plant if the radiation levels hit 0.5 microsievert per hour
- Temporary evacuation orders in areas where the radiation level reaches 20 microsieverts per hour
- A 5-km radius of a nuclear plant will prepare to evacuate if all power at the plant goes out for more than five minutes or if the reactor cooling system cannot be run from the control room.
- Immediate evacuation if a plant operator loses the ability to shut down reactors or when pressure in reactor containers reaches the maximum allowable limit.
This article would not be possible without the extensive efforts of the SimplyInfo research team
Join the conversation at chat.simplyinfo.org
All content is copyright SimplyInfo.org. Content cited, quoted etc. from other sources is under the respective rights of that content owner. If you are viewing this page on any website other than www.simplyinfo.org (or www.fukuleaks.org) it may be plagiarized, please let us know. If you wish to reproduce any of our content in full or in more than a phrase or quote, please contact us first to obtain permission.